Blog Archive

Sunday, January 12, 2020

2019 Year in Review

Well holy shit...last year went by in a flash! Here we are, already two weeks in to January 2020 and I'm trying to figure out what I did and what happened to 2019.

At the end of 2018, I applied to USC's Masters in Film Composition program. Spent a lot of time on my personal statement, reached out to some past mentors for letters of rec., and turned in a handful of scores I was really proud of. I thought I had a decent shot at getting in, but my hopes weren't too high. It's an extremely hard and competitive program to get into. I got wait listed. Not gonna lie, I was kinda bummed. I followed up the best I could, but in the end I didn't get in. I decided not to reapply...don't know if the steam was knocked out of me, or if the weight of student loans and debt had clouded my mind and frightened me off. Or maybe I just thought I could do this on my own. Who knows...but I didn't apply...that's the point.

Instead of prepping for classes over the summer, I was hired to score a short film called "Canners". It was a great experience working on something longer than 5-10 minutes. I really got the feel for my file management and doing multiple rewrites and conforms. The project definitely ran a bit longer than I thought it would, but in the end I was pretty happy with the music and the film. It's being submitted to festivals now, and I just put the album together (available on bandcamp now, and other platforms on the 20th).

The Kepler Mission also hit the studio in early summer, and in proper Kepler fashion we've been sitting on the final product for the past few months. Maybe you'll see/hear the new track and video soon. Or maybe we'll just file it away in our private collection and no one will ever get a chance to experience what may be our last project together as TKM.

Other than that I can't think of what I accomplished last year. Need to get focused for 2020, write out a plan/strategy for the year, and get working.

No comments:

Post a Comment