Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The Art of Finding Work

It's been a busy few weeks!

So awhile back, I posted an ad on www.StudentFilms.com, as most composers looking for things to do should.  Now, composers are notorious for begging and pleading for work.  Most of these pleads make composers look needy and annoying.  I mean, it annoys me, so I can only imagine how a director feels!  The composer ads on that site, unfortunately, fall victim to this practice, with composers posting and reposting and commenting on their own profiles to keep their pages on the top.  ?!?!  STOP!!!  It's annoying, unprofessional, and probably not helping you get any work.  /rant
Any way, I posted my ad with a picture of Bill Murray back in February...because who wants to look at my face...someone they don't know or trust yet?  I figured that the picture would at least garner a few clicks on my profile.  Low and behold, it did!  Happy to say, I was recently reached out to by an up and coming animator to help score her final project.  The animatic looks great, and I'm more than a little excited to really get cracking on the music.  I've already started to write some test themes and get a palette of sounds going.  I'll talk more about the project at a later date, once things are finalized.

This weekend is the American Film Market (AFM (not to be confused with the AFM Local 47)).  This is the place to be in Santa Monica this weekend if you are looking to meet financiers, producers, and people from around the world who may want to get your movie made or distributed.  I'll be going and trying to meet the directors and editors who still need music for their films.  It should be an intense and interesting four days of networking and learning more about the business I find myself falling in love with.  And that my friends, is the business of telling stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment